At City Innovate, we’re well aware of the impact government can have on people’s lives. Which is why we won’t rest until every government has access to the modern technologies the private sector takes for granted. The barrier to success isn’t a lack of budget or the will to consider new and/or emerging technologies. No. The barrier here is legacy procurement processes that can be byzantine in complexity. City Innovate makes products to modernize legacy procurement processes and as well as to pioneer greater agility in procurement using something we call a Challenge-Based Approach.
We’re looking for an experienced and passionate General Manager/Director of Business Development capable of taking charge of one of our core products and selling it into technology and innovation leaders inside States, Counties, and Cities in the U.S.
We need someone to start immediately in a full-time role. This position will be compensated with a base salary plus commission. The ideal candidate is someone who has experience in B2G (business to government) sales, business development, or customer success. This is a role where you will be expected to drive revenue.
If you’re interested, please apply online (takes a couple of minutes).
About City Innovate
City Innovate provides a suite of enterprise-class products for contract writing and agile procurement. Our mission is to make government a force for social good. We are structured as a public-benefit corporation to ensure we keep our focus not just on revenues, but also the needs of people served by government. Governments tell us that modernizing procurement is a necessary first step to make digital transformation happen; we enable government to accelerate technology acquisition, especially around emerging and innovative technology. Leading the company are Jay Nath, former Chief Innovation Officer for the City of San Francisco, and Kamran Saddique. In addition to our enterprise software, City Innovate also manages STIR and STIR Labs, which bring startups and academia to bear on pressing community problems. City Innovate has been working with Cities, Counties, States, and Federal agencies since 2014 to change how procurement gets done.
About the Position
We’re looking for a General Manager/Director of Business Development to join our small but fast-growing team and work collaboratively with our Leadership, Customer Success, Marketing, and Product teams, as you take charge of the P&L of one of our products.
- Generate new leads, identify and contact decision-makers, screen potential business opportunities, select the deals inline with strategies, and lead and facilitate pitch logistic
- Manage proposal response process, including detailed RFP requirements, content creation, and inputs from various sources
- Provide input to Marketing on what prospects need to hear from us from a thought leadership perspective at the top of the funnel
- Develop and implement overarching outbound sales and business development strategy, sales processes, structure, and best practices across the company
- Support deal structure and pricing with business value analysis; negotiate prices for proactive bids and proposals
- Maintain and share knowledge and insight about the customer and their needs both internally and externally (trade shows, events)
Our ideal General Manager/Director of Business Development will be excited to get in on the ground floor of a growing govtech company, and 3-6 years of experience in sales and/or business development and/or customer success. At least 2 of these years should have been spent in a sales or business development role selling B2G (business-to-government). We want someone who is hungry to drive revenue. An MBA or to a technical degree is not required but could be a plus.
You’re probably a great fit if:
- You deal well with ambiguity and love managing many projects at once.
- You can concisely communicate complex concepts.
- You're comfortable working in a startup environment.
- You value self-management, execution (over perfection), speed, and personal reliability, while loving working and brainstorming with colleagues.
- You’re able to take an idea and run with it, rather than just following instructions.
- You thrive in an environment where your work has impact and high visibility.
- You relish the opportunity to work on projects across many different departments, while also being able to go “heads down” and focus on mission critical work.
- You're excited about City Innovate and our mission. We want people who bring new ideas to the table and care about what they are building.
At City Innovate, we believe that the best technology shouldn’t be out of reach for government.
- We’re a mission-driven early stage startup with real revenue, focusing on making a difference in government as a force for social good.
- We’re headquartered in San Francisco, but talent lives around the world. Currently, the entire team works remotely and we expect this to continue for at least the next 12 months if not longer.
- We know our people are our most important asset so we offer competitive compensation, including equity, pay 100% of your medical and dental, and are committed to work-life balance.
- We are a dynamic workplace based on respect, where everyone has a voice and participates in decision-making, so we can solve the hard problems.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.