Each nonprofit organization that contracts with the City of San Diego through the office of the Commission for Arts and Culture (Commission) is required to submit a comprehensive report at the end of the contract period. This “final report” includes a description of the status of their performance on their scope of services and requisite financial disclosures. The information collected as a part of these reports was analyzed for reoccurring themes and patterns. Responses provided by organizations show ongoing challenges in the areas of audience development, inadequate online marketing resources, and lack of public will for arts and culture. To help address these areas, the Commission is interested in developing a citizen engagement platform for crowdsourced and aggregated sharing and compiling of arts, culture and creative events occurring citywide, regionally and bi-nationally in Northern Baja California. There are currently very few digital platforms with calendars focused on arts and culture events and happenings in the San Diego-Tijuana region. The platform solution could allow nonprofits and for profits (i.e. theatres, museums, artists, galleries, creatives, etc.) to upload and share events and happenings.
Commission seeks a solution that would have the following desired outcomes:
- Create a digital platform for crowdsourced and aggregated sharing and compiling of arts, culture and creative events and happenings occurring citywide, regionally and bi-nationally in Northern Baja California.
- Create a digitally hosted event management tool that could potentially incentivize nonprofits and for profits (i.e. theatres, museums, artists, galleries, creatives, etc.) to share arts and culture events occurring the region.
- Create a mapping/visualization tool that will help identify artistic, cultural and creative events based on location, area of interest, etc.
- Ability to aggregate the other ‘arts calendars’ and social media event invites/listings.
- Multilingual platform capabilities (English / Spanish) with an integration with virtual assistant (Alexa, Siri etc.).
- Formulate strategy to automate or keep listings up-to-date.
- Determine how to integrate and rank multiple information sources (i.e. other calendars, social media event listings, etc.).
- Platform should be optimized for mobile application.
- Ensure the platform can be efficiently maintained with limited staff resources.