The San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department (SFRPD) envisions a more livable city for all, where San Francisco's parks connect us to play, nature and each other. SFRPD is seeking creative technology solutions that will promote play in the city, resulting in opportunities for meaningful moments with each other and the environment.
Currently, SFRPD has several smart solutions e.g. occupancy sensing for individual sites; however, none have been focused on promoting playful strategies.
Smart technologies have typically not been applied to parks systems, so this opportunity is a greenfield. The impact from this challenge will be far reaching as it will provide a roadmap for the program in the department, and potentially other park systems.
SFRPD is open to any solutions that would increase play and connection in San Francisco. Ideas include but are not limited to:
- Ability for interactive communication between park users and park features (e.g. buildings, water fountains, trees, windmills, playgrounds), so that residents may understand the history of these sites, as well as communicate with each other about these sites.
- Gamification applied to the parks, which could support strategies to enhance healthy and lawful park behavior, increase engagement and education in our natural areas, and promote play
- Digital interactive play features to be incorporated into the physical space of playgrounds and play spaces
- Storydriven application that provides a narrative experience that would connect dispersed points of interest in the parks
- City’s Surveillance Ordinance must be supported
- Must apply to all ages, not specific to youth
- RecPark owns all data generated by the solution; raw data must be provided