In Miami-Dade County, the Department of Transportation and Public Works acts as the main provider of public transport for the County and its 34 individual municipalities. However, most of the municipalities have started to run their own municipal circulator service within their jurisdiction. Some are as large as operating with 49 vehicles during peak periods, while most of them just have a few vehicles in operation. As of 2019, there are 25 municipal circulators serving 29 municipalities within Miami-Dade County. There is currently no consistency as to how municipalities gather and share their real-time transit information.
There are over 7,500 bus stops in Miami-Dade County and trying to bring real-time information to each has shown to be an insurmountable task.
The Department of Transportation and Public Works seeks a solution that would have the following outcomes::
- A software solution that enable anyone to create a custom transit display
- Works seamlessly among different operating systems and display configurations
- Provides a registration option to users
- Provide access to transit data across all local providers, including but not limited to estimated time of arrival and service alerts
- Provide access to other mobility data, including but not limited to availability of docked and dockless micromobility providers in the vicinity
- Provide different configurable layouts for maximum flexibility
- Do not include paid advertisements in display