The City has provided 12 million in modeling to FEMA which resulted in flood depth grids provided by FEMA. This data was used to analyze all impervious and pervious lands within the City known to flood by FEMA regulatory products. FEMA’s regulatory products cover at most only 34% of the City’s territory.
This FEMA analysis with City Impervious found that:
- 1,057 roads flooded in the 10% annual chance storm
- 1,286 roads flooded in the 4% annual chance storm
- 1,346 roads flooded in the 2% annual chance storm
- 3,321 roads flooded in the 1% annual chance storm, the FEMA regulatory storm.
- 3,807 roads flooded in the 0.2% annual chance storm,
The City has designated slightly more than 100 common barricade roads with known frequent flooding issues, generally more frequent than the 10% annual chance storm above. Many of these occur multiple times in a year. The data clearly shows that flood risks are severe and that there are many more happening than what Water Services is aware of.
Based on the above, and as proven in our July and August floods of 2017, there are far more needs for road closures due to flooding than the community is currently prepared for. In 2017, City vehicles were used to block roads due to the ease of moving them and the lack of barricades in the numbers and locations needed. This has a high cost in resources and human power. Better methods are required for a city of this size.
KC Water Services seeks a solution that have the following outcomes:
- Cost-effective, easily replaceable and highly visible automated barricade with accurate specific flood depth data
- Easily seen by vehicle to clearly stop traffic and get that traffic to turn around.
- The automated systems should be able to inform when on or off and should have a means to accept an override to turn it on or off advising on its state.
- Data should be receivable through some means of communication.
- These may include vhf, ALERT1 or ALERT2 protocols, wireless to network to cell or satellite. Others may be possible with discussion.
- A method to send this information to and from through software or through existing market software’s is needed for automated systems.